The Raspberry Pi High-Quality Camera is the latest product from the Raspberry Pi foundation.
The newest camera module features a larger sensor that provides several benefits over the older Raspberry Pi camera.
One of the main benefits of this new camera module is the inclusion of a new high-resolution camera sensor. The new module comes without any lenses attached as well, allowing you to use lenses that best suit your own needs.
While this change does reduce the off the shelf versatility of the new sensor, it does remove the limitations created by the fixed-focus lens included on the older sensors.
Despite the introduction of this new module, the Raspberry Pi Foundation will continue to sell the two versions of the Raspberry Pi Camera V2.
Features of the Raspberry Pi High-Quality Camera
Below is a list of some of the features of the high-quality camera module.
- A new 12.3 megapixel Sony IMX477 sensor. This image sensor is a significant upgrade over the older IMX219 chip.
- 1.55μm × 1.55μm pixel size – The pixel size is double the area of the IMX219 used in the Pi Camera V2
- Back-illuminated sensor – Improves the low light performance of the camera sensor
- Support for off-the-shelf C- and CS-mount lenses – Comes bundled with an optional C-CS adapter if required.
- Integrated back-focus adjustment ring – Adjustable between 12.5mm – 22.4mm
- Tripod mount – 1/4”-20 screw. The built-in tripod mount allows the sensor to be used in a variety of conditions with ease. No need for a custom bracket like the existing Raspberry Pi Camera modules.
- Integrated IR Filter
- Ribbon Cable Length – 200mm
Comparision of the New High-Quality Camera
Below you can see a visual comparison of how nice of an image you can take using the new camera module when compared against the older modules.
There is a couple of things you will notice when comparing these two images.
The most noticeable thing right off the bat is how the lighting looks in both photos. Despite being taken in the same lighting conditions, the image taken with the new camera comes across as a lot clearer and brighter.
This improvement is thanks to the larger sensor featured on the high-quality camera module. A larger image sensor allows more light to be captured which creates a brighter image.
Another noticeable improvement is the reduction of noise in the images. The photo taken by the new high quality camera is a lot clearer.
This noise issue has been improved significantly with the inclusion of the new larger sensor on the Raspberry Pi high-quality camera module.
Why use this over the existing camera modules?
The original camera modules still have their uses. They are affordable and super versatile cameras that can be used in a variety of situations with relative ease.
The new camera module is beneficial for those who want to take high-quality images or need the benefits it introduces, such as the sensors improved low light sensitivity.
Some of our projects will benefit from the new sensor, such as our taking a timelapse project.
Price Point of the New Camera Module
With all these improvements, the camera module does come at a much higher price point.
TheRaspberry Pi High Quality Camera retails for an RRP of $50 USD. It is available from a variety of approved resellers.
One thing to note is that the camera module does not come with a lens. To make use of this camera module, you will need to either have an existing camera lens or purchase a new one.
You will find that most resellers who are selling the camera module are also selling compatible lenses.